First established in 1917, Culver City has been a center for entertainment and technology industries from the beginning.
Culver City Incorporated
Culver City was officially incorporated on September 20, 1917, and named after its founder, Harry Culver. His first ads read “All roads lead to Culver City”, indicating several main transportation routes led to the city.
Movie Studios Move In
The first film studio in Culver City was built by Thomas Ince in 1918 for The Triangle Motion Picture Company. Silent film comedy producer Hal Roach built his studios there in 1919, and Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM) took over the Triangle studio complex in 1924.
Howard Hughes Finds A Home
Hughes Aircraft opened its Culver City plant in July 1941. There the company built the H-4 Hercules transport (commonly called the “Spruce Goose”).